Sunday, July 18, 2010

NYC Triathlon Took Place Today


Wassner Twins On Top At Nautica NYC Triathlon' Osaly Wins Men’s Race

UK Today News : New York City Triathlon Takes Place Today – Filip Ospaly and Rebeccah Wassner Win Triathlon NYC Triathlon The 2010 Nautica New York City Triathlon took place today, July 18, 2010 in New York City. The Olympic distance triathlon takes place every year in the month of July and on an average sees more than 3000 people participating in the event.

The NYC Triathlon includes a 1500m swim in the Hudson River, followed by a 40k bike race on the West Side Highway in Manhattan and ends with a 10k run through one of the National Historic Landmarks of USA Park.

According to reports, the 2010 NYC Triathlon has ended and the winners have been announced. Filip Ospaly and Rebeccah Wassner are the winners of this year’s NYC Triathlon. In the warmest running of the Nautica NYC Triathlon to date, some 3000 triathetes turned out for the annual Olympic distance event touring the Upper West Side and Central Park. Suitably, New Yorker Rebeccah Wassner successfully defended her title in the women’s division, finishing in an unofficial time of 2:01:30.

Swiftly following her into the chute was twin sister Laurel Wassner, a professional triathlete and cancer survivor. In addition to representing Livestrong and the Ulman Fund, the Wassners were recently inducted into the New York Athletic Club’s new triathlon team, a local honor steeped in the city’s tradition of supporting Olympic caliber athletes.

In the men’s division, Filip Osaly from the Czech Republic captured his first Lifetime series victory after finishing fourth at Lifetime Minneapolis. American Matt Reed was expected to dominate the day, but disappeared early in the race, reporting through Twitter that he “wiped out trying to run bike into T2. No way I could run,” adding that he had a “charlie-horse” after kneeing the railing while getting out of the Hudson.

Giving the Nautica event additional national exposure was the entry of Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who told the New York Daily News how much he trained to prepare for the event:

“About 7-10 hours per week. I have three kids and I’m married, so I had discussions with my wife early on to see if this would even be feasible – my kids are 5, 3 and 1 and my wife is a big runner too. I was trying to incorporate the kids into my training as much as possible. I did long training on weekends. We would go to park with the kids and I would do an open water swim there. We have jogging strollers and would push them around. I got a trainer for my bike and would put it in my living room and burn miles while I read [the kids] a book. I think it’s good for kids to see their dad or mom exercising and putting importance on it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment